Lake James is a huge reservoir in Western North Carolina’s mountains that crosses the boundary between Burke and McDowell Counties.It is named after tobacco baron and Duke University donor James Buchanan Duke.
The lake, which has a surface height of 1200 feet (366 meters), is protected by four earthen dams. Duke Power built it as a hydroelectric plant between 1916 and 1923. There are cabin rentals on Lake James NC waiting for you to discover.
Activities Near Lake James NC
- Paddys Creek Area
- Pisgah National Forest
- South Mountain State park
- Fonta Flora Brewery – Whippoorwill Farm
- The Peninsula At Lake James
- Bear Creek Marina
- Lake James State Park
- Fonta Flora State Trail – Wolfpit Access & Parking
- Linville River Trailhead – Fonta Flora State Trail Access Points
- Fonta Flora County Park and Connector Trailhead
Lake James NC Point Of Interest
The National Park Service designated the first of 3.5 miles (5.6 km) of additional paths on the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail (OVNHT) in the fall of 2006. The path, which was designated historic by President Jimmy Carter in 1980, commemorates the march of the “Overmountain Men,” a revolutionary militia that beat the British in the Battle of Kings Mountain during the Revolutionary War.
Zip Codes Of Lake James NC